One of the best way to deliver the Girl Scout Leadership Experience Girl Scout Leadership Experience is through leadership journeys. These powerful, fun, and multidisciplinary experiences, each spread over a set of gatherings, are the core of the Girl Scout program. Journeys immerse Girl Scouts in specific themes, which are detailed in each journey’s resources: the girls’ book and the adult guide. The adult guide for each journey also features sample session plans with enriching activities, discussions, and reflections for a group of girls, along with corresponding coaching tips. You can customize these sample session plans to fit the needs of your group, whether you guide a troop, volunteer at a Girl Scout camp, mentor girls on a travel adventure, or engage with girls in a series or at an event.
Leadership journeys ensure that every Girl Scout in every pathway receives a consistent, high-quality experience that engages girls in realizing specific leadership benefits. Each journey also offers opportunities to enjoy the longstanding traditions of Girl Scouting, from ceremonies and song to earning awards and related skill badges. Here are a few tips for enjoying a great journey with your group of girls:
- Customize! Your journey’s adult guide offers step-by-step activities, discussions, ceremonies, and reflections. But no journey is meant to provide hard-and-fast, unchangeable, lockstep sessions. Along with the girls, make the most of resources in your region to add trips, activities, guest speakers, and the other special items to the journey. You’ll find plenty of tips for doing so in your adult guide, and the journey will be so much more fun and relevant as girls make it their own!
- Take your time or speed things up. Sample sessions in the journeys have been created to show how it is possible to have a Girl Scout Leadership Experience in a set number of gatherings. Many girls and adults quickly find there is more they want to do, which is why your adult guide is filled with tips for how to stretch out the experience. As their imaginations take hold, girls will have many more ideas about how to extend the journey. Conversely, you and the girls may decide you want to complete a journey in only four or five group gatherings. Do whatever works for you and the girls.
- Harness the power of stories. All Girl Scout leadership journeys engage girls in stories—real and fictional—of girls and women taking action in the world. Make use of these stories and expand upon them whenever you can—in any way that you and girls will enjoy. Stories, after all, capture the imagination and motivate. Ultimately, girls will create their own stories on the journey, meeting new people and taking action in the world. What other stories are going on in your region, and how can girls connect to them?
- Connect to the three keys: discover, connet, and take action. As a volunteer in Girl Scouts, your experiences—and your view of leadership—will influence and inspire girls. Use the reflection exercises in the adult guide to think about the three keys to leadership (discover, connect, take action) and how you can best apply them as you team up with Girl Scouts on their leadership journey.
It’s Your World—Change It!
This journey series invites girls to develop a deep understanding of themselves, understand how powerfully they can act when they team with others who share a vision, and make a difference in their communities by inspiring, educating, and advocating. Grade-level journeys in this series are:
• Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden
• Brownie Quest
• Agent of Change (for Juniors)
• aMAZE! (for Cadettes)
• GIRLtopia (for Seniors)
• Your Voice Your World—The Power of Advocacy (for Ambassadors)
It’s Your Planet—Love It!
This journey series invites girls to make sense of the wealth of environmental information available so that they can act for the betterment of Earth and its inhabitants. In this series, girls tackle issues like conservation, pollution, and renewable and reusable resources—all while focusing on leadership development. Grade level journeys in this series are:
• Between Earth and Sky (for Daisies)
• WOW! Wonders of Water (for Brownies)
• GET MOVING! (for Juniors)
• BREATHE (for Cadettes)
• SOW WHAT? (for Seniors)
• JUSTICE (for Ambassadors)
It’s Your Story—Tell It!
This series of leadership journeys, made possible in part by a generous grant from Dove, is designed to strengthen a girl’s sense of herself and boost her capacity to seek and meet challenges in the world—all by giving her the opportunity to hear, create, and tell stories in a range of creative mediums.
• 5 Flowers, 4 Stories, 3 Cheers for Animals! (for Daisies)
• A World of Girls (for Brownies):
• aMUSE (for Juniors)
• MEdia (for Cadettes)
• MISSION: SISTERHOOD! (for Seniors)
• BLISS: Live It! Give It! (for Ambassadors)
For a description of each book for each grade level, check out the six following tables.