Adults partner with girls to guide and inspire growth and achievement. Volunteers are essential to the strength and capacity of our Movement.
(2009 Blue Book of Basic Documents; GSUSA)
Adult volunteers are essential to make the Girl Scout Leadership Experience available to girls. Each adult, regardless of the position she/he holds - volunteer or paid staff, contributes to helping girls by supporting the mission “Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. We recognize that by enriching our volunteers’ experience in Girl Scouting, we enrich girls’ experience.
Girl Scouts of Western Ohio supports volunteers through a variety of methods and resources. These include:
- Volunteer Essentials provides a guide to all of the basic information that volunteers need about the role of volunteers, Girl Scout structure, volunteer support systems, council policies, and Girl Scout safety guidelines.
- Volunteer Management designed to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for diverse adults in which their needs and interests can be matched to specific Girl Scout volunteer positions.
- Volunteer Service Team who provide community-based guidance and support for organizing and leading your troop/group, working with parents, and participating in community and council program resources.
- Volunteer Training to provide an understanding of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience (Girl Scout Fundamentals), Volunteer Position training (for example Leadership Essentials for troop leaders), and enrichment training.
- Safety Activity Checkpoints which outline the required safety guidelines for specific Girl Scout activities. (for example canoeing or attending a theme park)
- Volunteer Recognition information and the process for recognizing volunteers in the service unit or at the region or council-wide levels.